I found another list of names and fought with Word Mail Merge for an hour trying to get them printed. I first brought up the old Mail Merge document, and attempted to link it to the spreadsheet containing the new names. It seemed to link OK, but now I only had one printed label per page. After trying to do the same thing two or three different ways, I started all over with Mail Merge. This time, in addition to having to populate all the fields on each of the labels, I had to figure out how to get the << next record>> field entered. I finally found it under “rules”, which took a while.
When I went to print, the printer refused to take paper from the drawer with the labels in it, preferring instead one of the plain paper trays. I didn’t want to put the labels into one of those traits, because their paper path is fairly convoluted, and I was afraid I would end up with labels stuck to the inside of my printer. I floundered around for a while, with no success. Finally I printed the labels to the virtual Adobe PDF printer, saved the file, opened it in Acrobat, and printed the labels from Acrobat. That worked.
Mail Merge has always been fragile, persnickety, baulky, and opaque. You’d think that by now Microsoft would have worked out a way to make it bulletproof.