I went to check on the server backups today and noticed that they had been failing for the last two days. Vice-Versa reported “target folder not found”. It only seemed to affect one of the Drobos, Drobo1; unfortunately, that was the one with the most-rapidly-changing data. The Drobo management software reported that all was well. I looked at the file structure on the Drobo that VV couldn’t write to, and, although the top-level directories appeared to be there, there was nothing below them. The error log was full of the dreaded Error 51 entries, pointing at the Drobo that VV couldn’t write to.
I tried reading files on the server RAID, and they looked good.
I did a reboot on the server, and it took a long time. In fact, I thought it had hung. I was patient, and finally it came up. Drobo1 didn’t show up when I fired up the Drobo management software. It looks like it is well and truly dead, although this doesn’t seem like a hardware problem.
If you remember the previous Drobo entries, you’ll remember that the Drobo folks said they had found a bug that was causing the Error 51s. They said they’d get me a fix by 60 days from the first week in February. That would get the fix to me by the first week of April. It didn’t happen, and I didn’t worry about it since it looked like things were working.
Now I’m worried. I will contact Drobo support and let you know what I find.