This is one in a series of posts on the Fujifilm GFX 100S. You should be able to find all the posts about that camera in the Category List on the right sidebar, below the Articles widget. There’s a drop-down menu there that you can use to get to all the posts in this series; just look for “GFX 100S”.
In the past, the steppers used in sensor photolithography couldn’t cover a 24×36 mm area, and full frame sensors were often stitched using two exposures per sensor during each photolithography step. Because of a discussion on another forum, I decided to take a look.
I took the lens off a GFX 100S, set the ISO to 100, the ES speed to 1/250 second, and banged off 32 exposures. I took one of them into RawDigger, and exported it as a raw composite TIFF. I brought it into Matlab, did a histogram equalization, and looked at each plane. Here they are, a bit less than half size:
It’s pretty obvious that there are four quadrants with somewhat different characteristics. The PDAF rows are pretty obvious, too.
Here’s the code I used for the above:
I brought all 32 images into Lr, exported them as layers to Ps, and used Ps to average the layers. Here are the R, G, and B planes of the result:
If you aren’t doing stacked astro, I don’t think this is of any concern.