This is part of a series about my experiences in publishing a book.The series starts here.
In my last post, I reported on my worries that the captions and footers weren’t sufficiently legible in the Matchprint proofs. I finished reviewing the proofs, and dropped them by Jerry’s offices today. We talked about the captions.
I suggested that they be made darker. He thought that they should be darker than they looked in the Matchprint. We then suspected that the Matchprint wasn’t doing a good job of matching the spot color on the printed page.
Jerry pulled out a Pantone swatch. We compared it to the Matchprint. It was darker than the Matchprint.
Then we pulled out the press proofs. There was a large swath of the spot color there. We compared it to the Pantone swatch. They matched. So the Matchprint was off. And not just a little.
I think the captions are going to be just fine.