This is a continuation of a series of posts about reworking my website into one that is entirely WordPress based. The series starts here:
Yesterday I told you about my successful migration of my new WordPress-based main site from the test server to a candidate live server using a WordPress plugin called called WP Migrate DB Pro. In parallel with that migration, because I wasn’t confident in my ability to carry it off, I asked my hosting company, Media Temple, to port the test site to yet another WordPress instance. I went out of my way in my initial request to tell them not to edit the kasson.com root index.php. I would do that myself once I had satisfied myself that everything was copacetic.
I woke up this morning to a message from Media Temple that they had completed the port and taken the new WordPress instance live. Not what I wanted, but, in poking around the site, I found a backup copy of the old index.php so that it would be easy to go back if I needed to.
Did I need to? I started to test. Most things worked but a few were broken. I started to think that I’d done a better migration job than the pros. However, as I found and fixed each problem, I discovered that they were all due to files or directories in the root of kasson.com that had the same names as pages in the new WordPress site.
So the two migrations were essentially the same. I would have encountered the same problems had I edited the root index.php to point to my migration.
I fixed the menus in this blog and The Bleeding Edge so that they pointed to kasson.com. I did some more work on the underwater galleries. I’ve got more galleries to add over the next few days, and some rough edges to smooth over, but I’m pretty happy.
We are now live with an all-WordPress site. Please let me know when you see problems by commenting to this post. Using a WordPress plugin called “Disable Site”, I’ve blocked normal access to the test sites at kasson.name and kasson.com/wp1. Eventually, I’ll dismantle the old hand-coded CSS/php web site.
Leave a Reply