I got back the proof from Modern. It was done on an inkjet printer, not an offset press, so the level approving is not perfect, but it is actual size and approximates the densities of the final postcard. The layout looked good. The color looked good. The copy was fine. However, the text on the inside was just too prominent, drawing the eye away from the photographs. I’d seen this in Blurb books that I’ve done, and I handled it in the postcard the same way I have dealt with the problem in books, by changing the stroke weight of the text to 50% black, and selecting a slightly narrower version of the typeface.
I called Modern and told them that I’d uploaded a new design. The customer service representative said that, if I approved the new layout electronically by 3:00 that afternoon, I wouldn’t lose any time. I got the e-mail saying the new proof was ready a little after four. I went to the website, looked at the proof, and approved it. The electronic review process is quite well done. I did end up losing a day, but that’s not important; I have plenty of time to get the postcards out.
I’ll be working on the mailing list while Modern does the printing.