This is the sixth in a series of posts on the Fujifilm GFX-50S. The series starts here.
From the mailbag:
I am so pleased that you are testing the Fuji. [Embarrassingly generous compliment removed]
I am considering getting the camera, in part to use for my f-mount Otus 55mm and 135mm APO, in part as a relatively inexpensive back for a tech cam set up. I have some questions.
1) How does the Otus 55mm perform?
2) How does the sensor cover glass on the Fuji affect performance of those lenses, in comparison with the Nikon D800, say, for which the lenses were designed? (You showed that the 55mm does less well on the A7rii than the Nikon. Does the Fuji do less well too?)
3) What is the adapter like? How are you tripod-mounting the set-up?
4) Is there any any indication that there would be corner smearing with wider tech cam lenses?
- Very well. See the previous post. The corners in a 4:3 crop might be a bit problematical.
- WRT the D810, that’s a really hard thing to get at, since the camera pitches are different. The Nikon D810 pitch is 4.87 um, and the Fuji GFX pitch is 5.31 um. I might look at it if I can figure out a good way to make the measurements and level the playing field. Concerning the Fuji, that’s hard so say since I can’t use a Fuji lens on a D810. With the right adapter, I might be able to use one on an a7RII, but it would have to be smart to allow focusing the lens.
- I’m using the Fotodiox adapter for Nikon F lenses. My favorite adapter supplier, Kipon, has announced a broad line of adapters, but I don’t think they are shipping yet. I actually got the Fotodiox adapter a month before I got the camera. I’m just mounting the camera to the tripod head with a RRS generic plate. The Fuji H-mount adapter is very well executed, and works flawlessly, at lease so far. It comes with a rotating collar-style tripod mount.
- I’m guessing that there could be corner smearing with non-retrofocal short lenses. I don’t have any such lenses to try so far. I’m thinking that the smaller microlenses that Fuji is using might help with corner color casting with such lenses, but I don’t know yet.
Keep those questions coming, folks.